This Excel spreadsheet tool was developed as part of the Kentucky Sustainable Spirits and Brewing Initiative (SSBI) to assist beverage industry facilities with understanding energy and water use along with greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) related to production. This data can also be compared to similar brewing or distilling facilities globally based on the Beverage Industry Environmental Roundtable (BIER) water, energy and emissions benchmarking study.
Download the KPPC SSBI Calculator spreadsheet (Excel).
(Current version updated: October 1, 2020)
Use this spreadsheet for a look at a facility’s:
– Energy usage and cost per unit of production
– Water usage and cost per unit of production
– Greenhouse gas emissions per unit of production
– Energy, water, and greenhouse gas emissions benchmarked against similar brewing or distilling facilities globally
What data is needed to use this spreadsheet:
– Utility bills for twelve consecutive months that include:
> Electric usage in kWh and cost
> Natural gas usage in ccf and cost
> Water in gallons and cost
– Production for corresponding months in gallons (Note: Not proof gallons, just volumetric)
How to use this spreadsheet:
– Input facility production and utility data into the “Production, Utility Data Input” tab
– Observe sustainability data output and figures in the remaining tabs
– Contact KPPC with any questions about using the Calculator or to review the data calculations for your facility with our engineers.
Demo overview of spreadsheet (2 minutes 30 seconds)
This overview demonstration of the calculator spreadsheet was provided during the Sustainable Water Consumption for Spirits, Brewing and Wine Making webinar held on April 23, 2020. Although the focus of this webinar was on water consumption, this overview also provides a good understanding of how the spreadsheet is used to gain insights for energy use and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.