Webinar 1: Sustainable Manufacturing Initiative
– Importance of sustainable manufacturing
– Business case for sustainable manufacturing
– Integrating sustainability in manufacturing operations and product development
– Life cycle thinking
– Overview of the Initiative’s training series, and provision for technical assistance
Dr. I. S. Jawahir
Institute for Sustainable Manufacturing
University of Kentucky
“Evolution of Manufacturing to Sustainable Manufacturing”
– Obtain a framework for thinking about sustainable manufacturing
– Learn principles of sustainable manufacturing
– Initiate your thinking about sustainable manufacturing in preparation for the training series
Workshop 1: Evaluating the Current State
November 16, 2017 at GE Appliance Park, Louisville, KY
The workshop presented key environmental challenges facing Kentucky manufacturers and focused on extending lean manufacturing practices to incorporate sustainability measures to better evaluate the current state environmental and business performance.
The business case for sustainable manufacturing was explored with a company case study. Participants were engaged in working sessions to begin drafting or enhancing their sustainable value stream maps and in a discussion of the business case for sustainability. A presentation and tour of sustainable manufacturing practices at the GE Appliance Park facility was included.
Topics addressed included:
– Kentucky environmental challenges
– Sustainable Value Stream Mapping (Sus-VSM) – an environmental perspective
– The business case for sustainable manufacturing
– Manufacturing facility host presentation and tour
– Case study using Sus-VSM
Benefits of participating:
– Understand key environmental challenges facing Kentucky
– Effectively evaluate current state environmental performance
– Identify opportunities for improved environmental performance
– Explore opportunity for business advantage through sustainability
The business case for sustainable manufacturing was a significant theme of the workshop. Engineering research ongoing at the J.B. School of Engineering at the University of Louisville was highlighted via a poster presentation showcase.
GE Appliance Park
4000 Buechel Bank Rd.
Louisville, KY 40225